LexisNexis passwords may be extended from June 1 - August 1 for the following "academic purposes":
- Research skill improvement, such as improving research efficiency and sharpening your area of law research skills as you prepare for practice
- Summer classes or course work
- Moot court, law review, or journal research
- Work as a professor's research assistant
- Internship or externship for school credit
- Study for the bar exam
Westlaw passwords may be extended for the following purposes:
- Journal/law review work
- Research assistance for a professor
- Summer classes
- Unpaid internship with a nonprofit organization
- Bar exam study
- Employment-related research
Please read the terms of these extensions carefully, and abide by them this summer! Commercial research on an educational password violates the terms of the extension, and may result in termination of access or collection of the research charges which would have been incurred on a commercial password.
Remember that Duke Law students also have access to several popular low-cost alternatives to LexisNexis and Westlaw, including Loislaw and Casemaker. As law firms search for ways to reduce operating costs, knowledge of alternatives can set you apart from the crowd.